Monday, August 27, 2007

8/27

Yesterday, our landlady drove Sean and I to the Mitud del Mundo (I think that´s what it´s called), which is the big monument on the equator. She actually said, ¨I will drive you to the equator.¨ Which is a really interesting statement to hear. There was a big touristy park all around the monument, but we got to see some cool dances right after noon. Sean and I went on a tour of a volcanic crater nearby. I was actually on the edge of a cliff 2900 meters high. Check out the picture if you don´t believe me. The view was incredible. The crater is inhabited and lush, and the people there get their water from the fog that engulfs it everyday.

Sean is at the first day of orientation at his school, so I´m on my own for the first time this trip. I will go to visit the place I´m volunteering at on Wednesday, and probably start working there on Thursday. I really have to cram hard with Spanish today and tomorrow. ...And every other day I´m here. There is no one at the place I´m working at that speaks English, so I´ll be totally immersed and frightened. What better way to learn...

No comments: